Sources Sources Sources

Finding my primary source was one of the difficult task while writing my research paper. Since my research topic focuses on how European women changed the lives of Indigenous women when they arrived in the Red River Settlement. I found a lot of documents that outlined the information I wanted but they were in secondary sources, therefore, secondary documents. I tried to find the primary sources but a majority of them were  in Ottawa or Manitoba. Luckily, I came upon a collection of letters by a Letitia Hargrave who was the wife of one of the officials that held a high position in Red River Settlement.

This experience of finding primary sources made me realize the ordeal historians have to go to in writing papers and deciphering events that happened in the past. In order for me to get the information I wanted, I had to read between the lines of what has been written or said and have my own interpretations on it. I reckon doing history depends on the historians own interpretation on certain events based on the resource found