Research Project

women

Choosing a research topic:

Whenever I read about history, the characters that are prominent and talked about are mostly male, European, white male. After European males, Indigenous males are mentioned next. Through my various readings regarding Canadian history, I have come across little to no information regarding Indigenous women and how they affected or helped developed Canada.

Through my bachelors program in Social Work, I have taken two Indigenous studies class and I understand that Indigenous women have played an important role in history. Even though they were mentioned, there wasn’t any in depth insights into their role, what their role looked liked, the effects and how it helped Canada as we know it.

Knowing that I wanted to focus on Indigenous women, I also focused on a time period; the fur trade. I chose this to focus on this period because I had little previous knowledge regarding Indigenous women’s role in the fur trade era. Therefore, I started out in researching the roles Indigenous women played in the development of the fur trade.